Mecklenburg, Cabarrus and Union counties have been awarded a total of $2,355,523 to help supplement local emergency food and shelter efforts.
Funds were awarded under Phase 39 and Phase ARPA-R of the Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP), a federally funded program intended to help meet the needs of people experiencing hunger and homelessness in cities and counties throughout the United States.
Congress appropriated $400 million made available under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 and the $130 million made available under the Consolidated Appropriations Act. Each year, funding is allocated to eligible jurisdictions and managed by a local board.
Emergency Food and Shelter Program Local Allocations:
Phase 39: $437,040
Phase ARPA-R: $1,350,788
Phase 39: $69,232
Phase ARPA-R: $213,980
Phase 39: $69,543
Phase ARPA-R: $284,483
In each county, a local EFSP board facilitated by United Way of Central Carolinas will determine how the Phase 39 and Phase ARPA-R funds will be distributed to area service providers of emergency food and shelter programs in the county.
EFSP funds must be used to supplement food and shelter services and may not be used as seed money for new programs. Agencies may receive funds to provide food, shelter and supportive services, including, but not limited to:
- Food services, such as congregate meals or groceries.
- Lodging in a mass shelter ($12.50 per night per individual), or in a hotel/motel or other off-site shelter facility limited to 90-days assistance per individual or household to prevent homelessness.
- Up to 90 days (3 months) of rental or mortgage assistance for clients per phase if it is necessary to prevent eviction or foreclosure.
- Up to 90 days (3 months) of utility assistance for clients per phase if it is necessary to prevent disconnection of services (gas, electric, water).
- Supplies, including but not limited to cleaning supplies, and small equipment essential to feed or shelter people, not exceeding $300 per item.
- Administrative funding, if approved by the local EFSP board.