An annual donation to United Way demonstrates your commitment to making our community a better place today. But what about the future? How can you have a lasting impact?
By joining our Legacy Society, you help ensure that our youngest children are nurtured, our families are strengthened, and our neighbors in crisis receive the help they need not only today, but for generations to come.
United Way's Legacy Society was created to honor and recognize caring people who have made an outright or deferred gift to our endowment. You can become a member of the Legacy Society by making:
- A bequest in your will
- A gift of life insurance
- A gift of trust or charitable gift annuity
- A gift from your retirement plan
- A gift of cash, securities, real estate, or other personal assets
Our Legacy Society endowment is overseen by a separate board of directors and is invested by the highly respected and trusted Foundation For The Carolinas, our partners in philanthropy.
Fighting for Our Community's Future
By joining our Legacy Society, you shape the future of our community. Your gift to our endowment helps:
- Invest in focused, strategic community collaborations that address high-priority human service issues identified by needs assessment research
- Provide a sustained funding reserve available to offset reduced giving and a drastic increase in needs during a major economic downturn or natural disaster
- Support United Way operating costs so more annual campaign funds go directly to investing in solutions for community needs
- Perpetuate your annual gift
With thoughtful planning, a properly structured gift may:
- Provide an income for life
- Reduce/eliminate capital gains taxes
- Generate a current income tax deduction
- Reduce/eliminate gift and estate taxes
One easy, cost-effective way to become a Legacy Society member is through a United Way Life policy; those who choose a policy of $250,000 or more are elevated to the Tocqueville Legacy Circle, a society recognized by United Way internationally.