200+ women launch new community engagement group
Our inaugural Women United event was a tremendous success - 200+ in a full-capacity room at the Goodwill Opportunity Campus, ready to strengthen the community we all love!
After an opening welcome by Women United's two co-chairs, Betsy Mack and Lois Ingland, the audience heard from Debra Plousha Moore, system chief of staff and EVP for Carolinas HealthCare System.
WBTV anchor Molly Grantham not only hosted a table, she captured Debra's inspirational remarks in wonderful fashion:
- Whatever it is you do, don't do it in a shallow way.
- Go deep.
- If you're a teacher, go deep into education.
- If you're in banking, go deep into finance.
- If you're in journalism, go deep into informing.
- Your voice means something. Don't be silent.
- Appreciate everything. Send thank you notes.
- Start out with your gut. It's right. Then get your facts.
- Give back to your community.
- If it doesn't affect your neighborhood or child, it's still your city.
- Diversity in thought always makes for better results.
- Results matter.
- Women: Don't feel like you're in competition with one another.
- No matter your age, help others and learn from others.
- Be relevant. (Learn new things, even if it's LinkedIn or Twitter.)
- Be accessible. (Respond to emails, messages and calls.)
- Be authentic.
- Be transparent.
- Be generous.
- Be direct. (GOD I LOVE THIS ONE.)
- Be inspiring.
Great night, United Way of Central Carolinas. Thank you for bringing the 200 of us together. After listening to Debra, I think we all want to go save the world.
You can see more photos from the event here on our Instagram page.